It's summertime.
Dad came.
Which means he came bearing a bounty
of lovely summertime fruits.
This year it's apricots.
(peaches, white peaches, and nectarines)
So, bright and early Saturday morning,
we started washing and pitting.
Oh, the washing and pitting, and washing and pitting.
Then we chopped, mashed, measured, poured, and stirred.
It was all really very exciting and fun.
We were two busy canners heat'in it up in the kitchen.
I love being in the kitchen with my dad.
It's really quite enjoyable.
I think we make a great team.
Thank you for all the fruit and for your
knowledge, experience, and wisdom.
Oh, and the laughs at the ballgames,
I couldn't forget those.


8 comments:
Your dad came to our house when Bonny was a baby - that means you were with him - and was delighted with our stash of canned apricots and apricot jam.
So the next year we did extra apricots and he did extra cherries and we traded. (We lived in Utah and you guys had cherry trees I think.)
Your dad has always had an appreciation for the joys of bottling fruit and making jam - not everyone - male or female - has such an appreciation!
Wish I could have been in the kitchen with you - I pretty much only do jam these days - taught Ara this year - and Harry is always good to help - but I miss the old days when we had the apricot tree here on Primrose - it died a few years ago and it's just not practical to buy fruit - it's not as good anyway.
Sorry for the long post - but you really brought back memories.
how awesome to have all that fresh fruit, and now all that yummy jam, all made with love with your father.
Barbara, my dad mentioned a canning recipe you had shared with him many years ago, and how he never could repeat it. Now if I could only remember what recipe it was for????? I'm thinking pickles, no maybe it was jam. I'll have to ask him. We are heading to his neck of the woods this weekend and will return with more goodies again!
I did call up one of my fellow ward members who cans and traded her a flat of apricots with the promise of some of her blackberries when they get ripe next month.
I did do pickles once - years ago - and they were pretty good - I think I got the recipe off the canning jars though!!
My jam is pretty good too - although Phoebe has the best Peach Spice Jam recipe - if you have more peaches, get the recipe from her.
If it was for Bread and Butter pickles, I found the recipe. I remember them being tasty. Especially since we had grown the cucumbers ourselves!!
Tell your dad we have a great garden going this year - first one in many years - Harry hasn't worked much this year - but he's been busy otherwise!!
I love apricot jam. I'm not sure if I will be able to find any apricots to make jam this year. We have had such cool weather, and then the hail was pretty tough on the gardens and trees. But I am hoping.
Yum!
Dad, come and can with me!
Our apricot tree was such a blessing - although one year someone came and stripped all the fruit off while we were at church!! And one year there was no fruit at all. But all the other years, the yield was plentiful.
And then the tree died - just up and died. We were distraught.
But don't ask if we've planted another one - we talk a lot - not much action!!
(For the 26 years we've been here I've been saying, when summer comes, "If we'd planted a tree the year we moved her, it would be X years old now." But we still haven't planted a tree out front!)
Post a Comment