Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Big Sis

Meet Karen, my big sister. It's her birthday today. I thought I would share with you some memories of her in honor of her special day.
Karen is a wonderful big sister. I can honestly say I don't have one single memory of her being cross or mean to me. How is that you say? Selective memory? I think not. That's just the "kind" of sister she was and still is. Amazing I know, I think so too!
I betcha didn't know Karen and I played in an outhouse at our brother's baseball game once. Now don't ask me why. Because I just don't have an answer to that question. I am quite certain we thought it an adventure. I betcha didn't know her foot accidentally stepped right into the deep dark pit inside the outhouse. And look, she's no worse for the wear!
I got a pony for Christmas when I was eight. That pony bucked me off. And then he bucked my big sister Karen off too. Needless to say Karen is not a huge fan of ponies or horses for that matter. But she does enjoy a nice lazy Labrador!
Whenever I eat York peppermint patties I think of my sister Karen. We used to stop at the Circle K on the way to school and buy York peppermint patties with our spare change.
One of Karen's favorite colors is pink - light baby pink. She looks fabulous in pink.
"Is there something I should know", by Duran Duran cannot be played without me thinking of driving to school with Karen. We used to sing this song loud, very loud, in the blue VW van. I can still see her hands on that huge black steering wheel. Good times I say, good times!
Karen also loves blue. I was her maid of honor, and I wore a blue dress just for her. She also has blue eyes. Beautiful blue eyes.
My sister Karen married her first love. Can you believe that? I think it's the sweetest thing. She's also a mother of 8! Can you believe that? I don't think she can sometimes. She's a wonderful mother.
I am blessed to have a big sister like Karen. Thanks Karen for being my sister and my friend. You rock! Happy Day.




9 comments:

Karen said...

Thanks Amy, this is very sweet.

Karen said...

I'm actually amazed at the things you remember. I'm a little shy of outhouses, and don't like my kids to go near them. And I was not fond of that pony. I loved that van.

Phoebe said...

Whata great post for Karen! I agree, she is amazing.
I also love that she married her first love. Where would we be without Jeff?

gail said...

you're lucky to be so close with your sisters. sweet post, and happy birthday to karen :)

D. Scott said...

Great post Amy.
Happy Birthday Karen

Heather said...

love the post!

bonny with a Y said...

nicely said amy - and i hope you had a great day karen - and i remember when she started dating jeff, and when he went on his mission, and when they got married - eeek!

and i loved your blue VW van.

grannybabs said...

I made a comment - that apparently didn't get posted!!

I love Karen too - and thought you gave her a lovely tribute.

Having sisters is a blessing in my life!!

And I love York Peppermint Patties too - with a passion!!

And they are one of the lowest calorie candy bars on the market!!

Amy Girl said...

Phil informed me the other day that he has always thought York Peppermint Patties remind him of old people candy. Funny! They are absolutely one of my favs. I prefer the half dollar size.