that's all I have of Erick.
It's weird to think he's gone. I've known for some time now that the end of his life was near. It doesn't make it any easier though. The emotions are so strange. He was such a big part of my life, but not really. I lived with him for seven years. Seven long years, yet short, quick years. He was so impatient, so demanding, a perfectionist. He was unyielding and bending all at the same time.
Now that I am older I think he was crazy for ever taking us on. What was that man thinking? Or my mother for that matter.
I feel angry and blessed all at the same time. Can that be possible? He was so difficult to live with.
I remember Scott coming home from his mission and Erick not letting him take us somewhere (probably ice cream). Scott did not like Erick. Karen's affections did not run deep for Erick either. He pretty much drove both Scott and Karen off. Why? I'm not sure.
I learned many things about myself living with Erick. I learned to push myself. I learned to work hard and never give up. I learned that the only job worth doing is one done well. I learned to be stubborn. I learned how to dole out some serious silent treatment.
I know he was proud of me. I know he admired me.
I loved vacationing with Erick. Erick was the most pleasant person on vacation. I learned that he spent the last years of his life vacationing. And that makes me happy. He went to the greatest effort to make our vacations enjoyable. He always let us bring a friend. He always bought our favorite food, and our favorite drinks.
Erick was a good barbequerer, and so am I.
My love for boating is because of Erick. I now own a boat because of him (well really because of Phil). We enjoy it as a family throughout the summer.
Over the years he and I have kept in touch. He even came for a visit once. He met 3 of my children.
I wrote him a letter quite a few years ago thanking him for everything he did for me. I let him know how much I appreciated everything he did for me. I apologised for not always being the easiest teenager to live with.
Life can be very strange sometimes. I'm not always sure why people and experiences are placed in our paths, but I know it's what we take away from those people and experiences which make us who we are. I believe I've learned from having Erick in my life. I hope I am a better person because of it. I hope he became a better person from me being placed on a piece of his life's path.
Before he died he asked his wife to let me know when he passed. She did. It was a sad couple of days. I'm still sad. I know Erick loved me. I hope he knew I loved him too.
Click here for a memorial of his life. Enter his name in the lower left hand corner. Then on the right hand side select "movie" for a slide show of his life.


1 comments:
You said everything so beautifully, I feel the same.
Post a Comment