After 20 weeks of training,
I ran my first marathon.
to run my long runs on the weekends.
I think building and building the length of my long runs
really helped me mentally get over the 26.2 number.
On race day I was excited and had butterflies, but I wasn't scared.
I knew I had done everything I needed to do to get me across the finish line.
I told Phil that my training taught me so much about being prepared for 26.2.
I told Phil that my training taught me so much about being prepared for 26.2.
I learned what to wear.
I learned what to eat.
I learned when to drink.
I learned to listen to my body.
Everything I learned before race day helped make race day so much easier.
and not being able to complete it. Thankfully, that did not happen.
I think I would have been crushed if it had.
I ran a 10K a couple years ago up at Tahoe.
This prepared me for the crowd.
Even so, it is still cool to see all the people.
Speaking of cool, the weather was cool. Perfect condidtions for running a marathon.
It was tricky to run around the slower runners.
I would pick someone running at my pace and try to follow them.
I really felt great.
We ran through old neighborhoods.
The lawns were like grandma Terrill's lawn.
There were huge trees.
We also ran along the American River.
It was quite picturesque.
This course was a loop ran twice for the full marathon.
After the first loop I felt great. I ran the first half in 2 hours and 13 minutes.
(I've already decided I am going to run a 1/2 marathon next.)
The numbers dwindled after that first loop though.
I ran most of the second loop with lots of space between me and the other runners. At mile 18 my right knee started to ache, but it was just an ache. No pain. The thing that surprised me most was how hard it got for me to change my pace. I remember thinking if I could just speed up a bit, or lift my legs higher, I could change up my cadence and get a little relief, but I couldn't. I also caught myself counting down the miles. I had to force myself to listen to my music. I never really had any pain, just discomfort. The kind of discomfort that would have made me stop if I were running by myself. I kept telling myself, "I'm going to do this." I also repeated over and over, "Slow and steady finishes the race."
I must admit that it did get really tough the last 2 miles or so miles. It became a mind game.
The numbers dwindled after that first loop though.
I ran most of the second loop with lots of space between me and the other runners. At mile 18 my right knee started to ache, but it was just an ache. No pain. The thing that surprised me most was how hard it got for me to change my pace. I remember thinking if I could just speed up a bit, or lift my legs higher, I could change up my cadence and get a little relief, but I couldn't. I also caught myself counting down the miles. I had to force myself to listen to my music. I never really had any pain, just discomfort. The kind of discomfort that would have made me stop if I were running by myself. I kept telling myself, "I'm going to do this." I also repeated over and over, "Slow and steady finishes the race."
I must admit that it did get really tough the last 2 miles or so miles. It became a mind game. I willed my body to run. In fact, I found it difficult to even walk. Walking made it so much harder to start running again. I think I walked about half a mile total. At mile 25 I ran into the park and saw Phil and the kids playing by a pond. The boys spotted me first and ran over to me.
It was awesome to see them. They all seemed surprised to see me. I started to cry, but kept running. When I came to the last 100 yard the kids ran out and finished with me. They were laughing and cheering for me,
"Run mom run! You can do it! You're almost done!"
It was an incredible experience. I could hardly believe I did it.
I can still hardly believe I did it. 26.2 miles! Our bodies are amazing! My hips and knees really hurt. They ached bad. My legs felt like noodles. It felt strange to stop running. I was not prepared for the post run pain though. My body really, really ached and hurt. The ache was deep in my bones. My knee bones and hip bones hurt. I hobbled around the rest of the day and hobbled around the next day as well. Today I am feeling much better and not really gimpy anymore.
I think tomorrow I will be 100%. One thing that cracked me up the most was the boys telling me before the race that they hoped I would win. Ha! How funny is that. I finished in 4 hours and 56 minutes. Just under 5 hours. Amazing!
To Do List When I Am 40
run a marathon
Check. Done.



17 comments:
You inspire!!!!!!!!!
you are definitely inspiring. my goal for next year is to run another marathon and actually train :) i am proud of you!!!
Great job!! I think the Terrills are natural runners - and the training puts you in the position to build on that.
I will never run a marathon - but I'm the chief marathon cheerleader in these parts, so I think I know whereof I speak when I say you did a wonderful job!!
And the after pain - after the first Boston, Harry was cramping like mad afterwards - I was alone with this crazy man who was moaning and writhing with pain - wondering what I was supposed to do!! (I'm better now at attending to the needs after a race!! We all have a part to play!)
As Mr. Rogers would say, "and I hope that you're proud of you too!"
Way to go Amy!! Your narrative is right on the money. I am one proud uncle. Happy recovery.
Wow! I am so impressed! Way to be 40!
you are amazing! great job :)
Congratulations and well done! :)
Awesome. No seriously I am in awe! Way to go Amy!
Way to go! Something I will never do...not that I want to :) But it is amazing that you could get the job done!
Great Job! I was excited to read your story. So glad you posted about this.
SO HAPPY YOU DID IT! next up is an ultra. :)
That is awesome! I think that is so amazing and cool of you! You are an inspiring Aunt!
You always do what you put your mind to do. G'on ya
YOU DID WIN!!!!!!
I AM SO PROUD OF YOU AMY. WHAT AN ACCOMPLISHMENT AND YOU LIVED TO TELL THE TALE. WELL RUN.
Congratulations to you for accomplishing this feat! I made an unwritten goal many years ago to never run a marathon (a goal not written is only a wish). But, so far, I am holding steady. My hat is of to anyone who can do this. I am happy to run my little 5K "fun runs" (insert oxymoron here) while I rehab from my torn ACL surgery. My only problem now is massive calf cramps. Anyway, good job and well done!!!
Congrats Amy. I wish the tough part started for me in the last two miles... for me the last 8 are tough, and where the mind games begin. That just shows that you must have prepared well. Great job. St. George 2010?
Amy you are truly an inspiration to me.
Post a Comment