Sunday, August 02, 2009

"Whoever said a 40 year old couldn't do it?"

What's so weird about being 40 is I can distinctly remember this strange little song/rhyme/saying my friends and I used to repeat way back when I was in high school and for some strange and bizarre reason Lynnette and I sang it to Erick on one of our Lake Mojave spring break excursions and he cracked up laughing. Over the years it has entered my thoughts and brought back memories and now, go figure, I'm 40. It seemed so far off back then. 40? Wow!
Anyway, I don't really feel old or anything, in fact, I think I am going to love 40. I'm embracing it. I am. I really, really am.
So yesterday I checked the mail and what should I find there????? Many birthday card greetings and a package with a return address label of my wonderful, charming, witty, very cool and thoughtful aunt Barbara. I was so excited. I have this little thing about birthdays. When the cards and packages arrive I place them on the mantle above the fireplace and await the exciting day. So, this morning after my delicious and favorite breakfast of eggs Benedict, prepared perfectly I might add by my loving husband, which we normally have in bed on our birthday, but enjoyed at the table because of sick a child in my bed all night long, and I know it was fast Sunday, but we skipped it to honor me and being 40, and will fast next week much to the chagrin of my three oldest offspring - they so love to fast, I opened up all my cards and gifts and packages and found the above pictured purple stripped apron from aunt Barbara. I love it.
Since Ella was home sick from church, I donned my new apron and started dinner and tidied up the place before the rest of the fam arrived home from church.
I also received this really cool wireless Honeywell weather station. It tells the inside and outside temperature, measures wind speed and direction, rainfall, barometric pressure, it even has an atomic clock. Sounds nerdy I know, but guess what, I'm 40 and I honestly don't care what others think about my weather station. Cohen aged me best . . . "Now you don't have to watch the news." When did I start caring about the weather so much?
I was also gifted a Garmin watch. This gift is totally awesome and I never dreamed of getting one which makes it all the better. Phil always knows just what to get me. Thank you honey!
Why a Garmin watch you might ask? Do I often get lost whilst walking around? Heather knows I don't even know how to properly use the navigation system in my Sequoia. Well, I've done this crazy thing. I've decided to run a marathon for my 40th birthday. In fact, I waited until my birthday to completely committ myself to running one. I registered for my marathon today, which I will run October 4. My running schedule has gotten pretty intense. My long run yesterday was 15 miles, so I think the Garmin is going to be fablous to have for the remainder of my training.
Thank you all for the cards, packages, gifts and blog wishes.
The Birthday Girl,

10 comments:

Heather said...

Happy Happy Birthday Pretty Lady!

gail said...

oh my, you look so gorgeous in your lovely apron with that beautiful purple wall behind you. sounds like you had a special day, you deserve it! happy 40th friend!

Karen said...

A marathon Amy! I'm in awe.
I am glad you had a good day!
Love you lots!

Phoebe said...

Happy Birthday Amy!

I completely get the weather station thing. I have wanted one for a long time and everyone laughs! I guess they don't believe me.

grannybabs said...

We will follow your marathon efforts with great interest - I'm a good marathon fan, having lots of practice!!

Many women seem to do them in honor "significant" birthdays - good choice!

Glad the apron looks as good on you as I planned!!

Brooke said...

Happy Birthday!

bonny with a Y said...

i love the marathon idea - i have been wondering what to do to celebrate my 40th - and the marathon seems like a good idea.

glad you had a fun day and happy training!!

The Mom said...

Sounds like a lovely Birthday!

Yes love were you are, age wise, we have no other choice.

It is good feeling getting to the point in life that you can like what you like and not care what others think.

Love Ya The Mom

The Katich Family said...

Hey girl, Welcome To The Club!
Happy Birthday and I wish you the very best!

Love Ya, Leslie

Elder Seibert said...

whoever said a 40 year old couldn't do it, that cracked me up. weird to think we're 40 now. time is a weird thing. just recently found your blog i didn't know you had one. fun to check out what your family is up to.
Lynnette