Thursday, November 20, 2008

Starting out the season with a bang . . .

. . . by spending some quality time in the hospital.

Ella's sick. She's been sick for the past 10 days. Not miserable sick, but sick. This past Sunday landed us in the ER. She had a fever which broke and her body temperature dropped so much she began to shiver. We could not get her warm, so I said, "uncle". The ER doctor decided it was a bladder infection, gave her 4 shots, and sent us home with oral antibiotics. By Tuesday she still wasn't perking up, so it was off to see the pediatrician. She changed the antibiotics. Wednesday at our follow-up with the pediatrician, it was decided to send us on our merry way to the hospital. I say merry because the girls were all decked out in their dance outfits and tap shoes (I was being optimistic).

We have now been in the hospital for just over 24 hours. She's had an IV, 2 doses of IV antibiotics, blood drawn, a catheter, an ultra sound, and we are currently waiting for the results of blood and urine cultures which should be back some time early this evening. She is still running a fever intermittently. Go figure. Who knew that a little body could still run a fever with all those antibiotics in it.

She is (we are) trying to be a patient patient(s). She is getting fabulous care. I don't know what else they could do for her. However, I just can't get over the idea of catching something else while we are here, hence we are longing for home.

Keep us in your prayers. I'll keep you posted.

5 comments:

gail said...

so sorry to hear your little one is suffering :( you'll be in our prayers.

Brooke said...

Hey if you need us to take Eva for a bit let me know. Its not like I'm not already playing with a pre-schooler all day! Hope Ella gets feeling better.

grannybabs said...

When Phoebe was a toddler, she had a persistent infection that would not respond to antibiotics - in fact, the antibiotics actually made her throw up.

She ended up in Primary Children's for tests - endless tests it seemed to me. They ultimately found a faulty valve between the kidney and bladder - and said she would probably outgrow it.

And in the meantime be scrupulously clean with diapers - she was only 18 months then - and they suggested I toilet train her.

I'm not a believer in early toilet training but it seemed worth the effort - she didn't train, but she went around diaperless, so I think that helped.

She had a few bouts with infections and finally did outgrow it - that is the faulty valve closed like it should have done in the first place.

You may have something along those lines - that is, something they can't pin down right away - and the wait and see is pretty nerve-wracking.

Sorry for the long comment - you are in our prayers!!

Heidi said...

Oh Amy!
I am so sorry to hear how rough you and Ella's week has been. I hope everything improves. Please keep me posted. Your family will be in our prayers.

Shelly said...

Poor Lil' Ella... we are so so sorry to hear she's been ill. She is in our prayers, get well soon sweetheart!