Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Sadie Ladybug




Eleven years ago today you became mine. Your arrival changed my life forever. I could have never imagined how someone so tiny and delicate, and helpless and yet perfect would change me forever. I remember waiting for your cry. It took awhile to come, but when I heard you, it was as though I had been hearing you my whole life. When you were placed in my arms you were familiar, and I knew you were mine.

The giving that a mother gives to her child might seem immeasurable, but I have come to know that what you gave me when you became mine is the greatest gift I have ever received. You are the giver. You have given me patience that I never knew I had. You gave me the ability to love more deeply than I ever knew I could. You have given me joy which nothing in this life has ever exceeded. You've given me smiles that have melted my heart. You've given me the opportunity to learn again how to giggle and be silly. You have shown me how to really forgive and move on. You've given me little windows from which I can view the world with which only a child's eyes can view. You've taught and I've re-learned so many, many things I needed to know again.

I was blessed by you when you became mine. I often wonder how I deserve such a blessing. Sadie, you are a blessing. I love you. I see you are growing. I see you are getting bigger. I see you are changing. I see you becoming you and that is amazing to me.

I watch you. I watch as you play. I love that you still head straight to the toys at the doctor's office. I love that you still create, color, name, and sell art work which you hang from your bedroom walls. I love that you still prefer toys over clothes. I love that you still know the names of every one of your little animals and know exactly which ones are missing. I love that you don't think your little sisters are to little to play with. I love that you not only tolerate your brothers, but that you genuinely like and love them. Sometimes though, I am sad, because I know this part of your childhood will soon be tucked away.

I love watching you grow. I love knowing that you are on the verge of new and exciting growth. I get glimpses of this new growth. I see it as you try to do your own hair and ask me if what you have on matches. I hear it when I walk by your room as music blares from your speakers. I saw it this morning as you woke everyone early, so you could open your presents. I knew how excited you were to be opening your gifts, but I watched as you noticed the excitement of your brothers and sisters. Then, I watched as you passed out your gifts to be opened up by them. And I saw the joy in your face, because you had made someone else glad too. That small gesture brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes, because I was watching you grow and leave yet another piece of "little" Sadie behind in exchange for the new and different you.

Happy 11th Birthday my "little/big" Sadiebug. I love that you are you.

3 comments:

Melissa The Beautiful said...

Happy Birthday Sadie!! You are beautiful and smart!! I hope you had a wonderful birthday!

Aunt Amy- that was beautiful! I can still remember you bring Sadie to our house when Sarah was born. She was so cute and fun! I think you are a great mom and an awesome aunt!

Karen said...

So it looks like she got the littlest pet shop she wanted?
Beautiful writing Amy!

bonny with a Y said...

What an excellent tribute to your daughter! I'm sure she had a wonderful day and we hope she has a fabulous year.