Sunday, March 04, 2007

A letter to the rude lady at the NMoA

Dear Rude Lady,

I could see you staring. Aren't children the only ones who don't know better than to stare? Well, at least the young ones. I have taught my two oldest how they should not stare, and point, and cover their mouths as they whisper to another, it's rude. Or didn't your mother teach you that lesson? Hey, I'm a mother. I'll teach you: "staring is rude".

Oh, and by the way I could see you counting over and over. 1,2,3,4,5 . . . 1,2,3,4,5, . . . 1,2,3,4,5. Yes, there are five and they are all mine. Yes, M-I-N-E. And to think that you thought people only had 1.4 children these days. Nope, you were wrong. Hey, before you pick your jaw off the floor, I have a sister who has eight. Yep, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8.

Just a little tip: the signs which read "please touch" mean just that. The children's section is for children. Imagine that. My boys by the way were playing, well let me see . . . like boys. Taking Quaker Oatmeal cartons that are covered with Campbell's Soup labels and building towers is n-o-r-m-a-l. And then shooting them like basketballs back into the shopping cart like the sign said to is called reading. You see, they can read. They read the sign that said to put them back when they were done playing. They also read your rude body language as you stared at them. Oh, and they can hear too. They heard you tell them to stop shooting the cartons back into the shopping cart. And being the good boys that they are, who respect all adults, even the rude staring ones. They stopped.

I guess you can't read though. You didn't read the signs. You must not be able to hear either. Because you didn't say a thing after I told my boys to go ahead and keep shooting those cartons into the shopping cart after you so rudely told them to stop. Oh, and while I'm at it you don't seem to be able to read body language. That was me the mother of those 1,2,3,4,5 children giving you that nasty look. Because when it comes to my children you better back off lady.

By the way, we were in the children's section of the museum. Why exactly were you there? To practice your counting?

3 comments:

Karen said...

I wish you had actually said these things to her! She might have learned something from you! I wish I had been there with you! We would have really given her something to count about then!

D. Scott said...

I think you are extremely lucky. I mean after all, complete idiots are so rare! And you got to show your kids one.
What a day at the museum!

Phoebe said...

That would have been classic if Karen had been there too! She may not have been able to handle it!
It seems to me there is a rude one in every town.